Sunday, July 18, 2010

What it takes to get your kids to hate you:

When I was pregnant I assumed that after all that weight gain, puking and bloating that my kids would realize I must love them if I went though all that for them.....maybe that comes when they get older...... So then I thought with all the poopy diapers I changed, all the sleepless nights, and all that goes into taking care of a baby they would know how much I love them. Maybe that comes when they get older......I have realized that no matter how much weight you gained, how bloated you were, how many sleepless nights you went through and how many poopy diapers you changed... it will not make a difference....eventually the day will come when your kids scream at you...I HATE YOU!!....


Our oldest son who is now almost sixteen years old was the first to hate us, well he hated my husband actually. He was just a little tyke when he screamed "I hate you daddy!!!". To which my husband replied "thats okay Steven, I still love you". Well this just made my son even more mad. Although he only stayed mad for a matter of a few more seconds and then went up to my husband with a big hug and said "I love you too daddy". It was much simpler when they were little. When they become teenagers they hate you for more reasons and they hate you more often. Now the oldest doesn't ever tell us he hates us any more, but our fourteen year old is a different story. He hates us almost every day. Today the only thing it took for me to be hated was to say no when he asked if he could ride his bike to the store. Now he of course couldn't understand my concern over him riding his bike four miles in 90 degree heat.....Now it may totally shock you the first time you hear those dreadful words "I hate you" come rolling out of your childs mouth with such ease, but don't panic they usually only hate you for a few minutes. Children usually hate you when you say no to something, and usually you are saying no to that something beacause you have their best interest at heart. So look at it this way....if your child hates you then you must be doing something right....

No comments:

Post a Comment